Saturday, 28 September 2013

making my own iPad cover

I couldn't find anything crazy enough for my iPad so decided to make the cover myself. I wanted something with a science theme, so started with this test tube embroidery on black fabric. I then traced the shape of the iPad on some cardboard from an old box, added about 1 cm around the outside to make the cover bigger. Then I used the cardboard as a template for the fabric and lining.
I made an envelope for the 2 card board pieces and top stitched around 3 sides to make a snugger fit. I also added a button tab at this time.
For the fourth side, I used an extra strip to make the binding to attach the top and bottom cover, then stitched that into place.

Finally, I used some black binding and elastic to make straps to hold the iPad in place, but not covering the touch screen or on button. You can see the cover is bigger than the iPad.

Thursday, 26 September 2013

making a floppy hat from a shirt

When I received a bag of clothes I knew I wanted to do something fun with this shirt.
It had a great, boyish strip.

I started  by hooping the back of the shirt, embroidering a number of dinosaur designs then cutting out the pieces, based on sewing for boys fishing hat, but making them a bit bigger to include the designs, so only needed 3 sides and brim pieces.

I also used a scrap of sheet for the lining, as I wanted something that would complement the green strip.

I first sewed the side seams to make a ring and then the circle top to give some fold lines to guide me. This would have been even more helpful if I'd kept the 4 side pieces. I attached the top on with both top and lining together.

 After putting the top together, I attached the brim to the edge, and top stitched just on the lining to make a neat edge that doesn't roll .

Here's the beginning of the lining ready for the next step.  I first added the side pieces ring, then pinned the last part down on the inside, but top stitched it from the outside, so the top seam is neat. Remember the top piece was already lined.

So here's Johnny modelling the hat, which he likes so much he hasn't taken it off!!
I'm surprised that I had to take out the 4th piece, as I was worried it might be too small I think I went too far the other way!

Saturday, 14 September 2013

kid's craft- making a photo frame from an old book

Inspired by all the reader's digest book left over from my school fete, I had this idea for a craft idea for kids.

Here is the type of book I started with- hard cover and only black and shite print.
Here is the step by step guide to what I made.

 1. Open up the book in the middle and press down to keep it open.

2. Water down some PVA or craft glue and paint it on the sides of the book to keep the pages from separately. You could also paint it gold at this point.

I tried to spread the pages slightly to get a nice effect.

3. Cut the place for the picture to appear. I used a rotary cutter, but you could cut a rectangle or square with a craft knife.
4.  Use a blunt knife to make sure there is a gap at the top for the photo to slide through. Just push it up through the photo hole to separate the pages.

Here are a few photos to give you the idea. I also had my son start decorating at this point.

Here is the final item after a bit of tinkering- I was trying to make it look like child craft so nothing too fancy. I added a big button to cover the word Juvenile Dequincy, as this old book was one we had at home.

I'm sure children would do a much cuter job than what I came up with