Wednesday, 1 May 2013

boys pants from shirt

I started with one of dad's tshirts. You know the kind- old, out of date and a bit out of shape. This one was probably only kept for so long because we have a bit of thing for crocodiles in this house. The only article of clothing needed by the boys at the moment are some warmer PJ's.


 So this is what we ended up with. John loves them!

  In this photo he is actually standing still long enough that you can see the crocodile!
A few construction points: I used the pattern for pants out of sewing for boys. It fits on the shirt well. You can see I've dropped it a bit low, since the hem from the shirt was going to be used, I didn't need that extra fabric. I also wasn't worried about having to add the top casing separately. I started by overlocking and stitching the front and back seam. Then i folded it so the crutch seams matched, and overlocked then stitched in one go. So in three rows I've finished the main sewing. When I put them on the model, I felt that a separate waist band would be needed so they were a generous fit. I cut a 5 cm width piece out of the two sleeves, added in the the top, encasing the elastic in one step. I also used the coverstitcher to finish the waist band, as well as top stitching the elastic so
it doesn't  roll or twist.


No comments:

Post a Comment